Client: Regional Institution
Project Characteristics: Organization unfamiliar with usability testing | Multiple user segments | Multi-platform test | Usability testing
A regional institution sought out multi-platform usability testing during the redesign of their online portal (where customers can view account balances, make transfers, etc.). As the project manager, I administered the usability tests and educated the client about the process and value of usability testing.
- Evaluate the design for the different user groups (12 private customers, 12 small business customers, and 8 corporate customers) and provide recommendations on how it could be improved
- Outline recommendations/considerations of how functionality can be improved on each platform (web site, smartphone application, tablet application)
- Provide feedback on how the usability testing process can be improved for the next round of testing
- Provided guidance and explanations regarding the processes of usability testing so that everyone in the organization was on the same page
- Worked with different business units to make sure they understood the differences and similarities between different user groups to make sure they gained the most insight possible from the testing
- Worked with client’s development team and communicated what design artifacts were needed for the testing as well as how to handle bugs discovered during testing
By working closely with some key employees on the client’s side, we were able to address all challenges and provide valuable insight on all areas of the application. In addition, we succeeded to demonstrate the value of bringing in users to test their designs as well as communicating insight and an understanding of the usability testing process to a large portion of their organization.